Warning: preg_replace(): Compilation failed: unknown option bit(s) set at offset -1 in /home/mgreene/public_html/wp-includes/shortcodes.php on line 258
I recently started looking to replace the default “SharePoint” text on the top of the SharePoint 2013 Suite Bar. What I expected would be a masterpage change actually turned out to be much more simple; enter the big hammer (PowerShell). If you dig through the changes to the SharePoint 2013 Object Model, you’ll find an SPWebApplication property called SuiteBarBrandingElementHtml, that does just what it implies… stores the HTML that gets put in the Suite Bar.
We can use some simple PowerShell to grab the SPWebApplication object, set that value to be whatever we want, and update the object; No masterpage or branding/UX changes required.
$webApp = Get-SPWebApplication http://path/to/webapp $webApp.SuiteBarBrandingElementHtml = "Company Name" $webApp.Update()
Coincidentally, after I figured this out and searched to see if it had been blogged before, I found this post. Shout out to Mat for documenting it first… that’ll teach me to search first.
It was a long work day today, so just a brief update on the Timelapse Engine.
This evening I was able to drill the control box and do a test fit of that mounted to the chassis. Everything seems like a good, sturdy fit at this point.
Today I also received a test print of one of the four idler pulleys for the drive track (shown here with a test fit of the 3/8″ idler drive shaft).
It’s a good day today. Not only was it a beautiful day out, but I also made a ton of progress on the Timelapse Engine. Last week, thanks to some help from my dad, we were able to get most of the core chassis structure prepped. Today was a day of drilling the main chassis panels, and tapping lots of holes. After spending 6 hours out in the garage, I emerged with the first test fit of the chassis components. Obviously this lacks the outboard chassis panels and drive mechanism, but things are starting to take shape!
I’m thrilled to say that the first of the six custom pulleys for the Timelapse Engine are here. This drive pulley is the first of the two drive pulleys and four idler pulleys required by the design, which are generated using a 3D printer.
Additionally, during my dad’s visit over the Easter break we were able to make a lot of progress on the core components for the chassis. All of the chassis supports are cut, and most have been drilled. All that remains is to complete the M3 and M5 screw tapping, and several remaining through holes. Once those are completed, I’ll move on to the inboard and outboard chassis components.
Diving into the world of SharePoint branding can be a real headache. What is the best practice for deploying my branding? How do I select a design firm? What is the impact of mobile devices and how do I ensure cross-browser compatibility? What are the new branding tools available in SharePoint 2013? These are all common questions that must be answered during the course of branding efforts. In this session we’ll look at the various aspects of SharePoint branding, and common pitfalls to look out for during your next branding project.
My 60 tooth, 2″ H rated timing belts arrived today, which will become the drive belts for the timelapse engine robot. I’ve also got the first of the six custom 3D printed timing belt pulleys on the way; we’re making one first to confirm the tooth profile is accurate before manufacturing all six. Progress!
In a follow-up to yesterday’s post, the custom PCB has arrived, and should be ready to go after a few spots of solder and some components. With my current workload and the upcoming Easter holiday, it may be a couple weeks before I get around to wiring it up and testing it, but it’s great to see these finished components of the project starting to arrive!